Welcome to Myst's Stories.

I hope you enjoy the stories I have written.

I would love to receive feedback and can be e-mailed at readsmyst@aol.com.



Saturday, September 11, 2010

Truth and Consequences

A/N:  This is a family discipline story I wrote about 18 years ago.
Implement used: Belt


Many thanks to Jodie for taking the time to Beta this for me :)


John Dryer hurried to the door wondering who in the world would be knocking at 10:45 on a Friday night. "Officer Woods, how can I help you?" he asked when he saw who was there.


"I've got your boy Tom in back of my car, Mr. Dryer.   He and Bill Wallace were pulled off the road about two miles back. Both were out like a light."

"Are they hurt? Was there an accident?"

"Nope, no accident. Looks like they'd been drinking, and pulled over. Both of them seem okay."

"Thanks for bringing Tom home. Let me help you with getting him up these steps."

"It wasn't a problem bringing him here. Better than a call from the station."


The next morning at 9:30, John knocked at Tom's bedroom door.


"Come in," Tom called out softly.


"How are you feeling?" John asked as he looked down at his son, who was still in bed.

"Okay, I guess. My head hurts though."

"I'm not surprised. I want to see you in my office by 10:15."


Tom glanced at the bedside clock. "Yes, sir. I'll be there."

At 10:12 Tom knocked on the office door.


"Come in," John called out.

"You wanted to see me?" Tom asked as he walked in.


"Do you remember how you got home last night?" John asked.


"Not really. I vaguely remember Officer Woods helping me up the steps and you telling me to go to bed, but that's about it."

"I believe you told me that you and Carole were going to a show. Officer Woods said he found you and Bill in a car on the side of the road. What's going on?"

"I'd better tell you the whole truth."

"I should think so!"

"About a month ago Bill and Susan, and Carol and I were going to double to the show. When Bill picked me up, he told me Susan's family had unexpected company so she couldn't come. When we got to Carole's house she said she didn't feel very good. She'd been sick most of the day, so she thought she'd better stay home. We decided we'd all go out the next night. Bill and I drove around a bit and ended up at a club where Bill knows the owner. We had a couple of beers and then came home. We've been doing that for the last three Friday nights."

"I see. You've been lying to us, saying you were going out on a date."


"Yes, sir."



"Were you drunk each time?"


"No, last night was the first time we got drunk; I promise."



John sighed then said, "Go to your room and don't come down until you are called."



"Yes, sir."

About half an hour later John knocked on Tom's door.


"Come in," Tom called out. He jumped up when he saw it was his father.

"Tom, you mother and I discussed what been going on." He stopped and stared hard at his son.



"And?"

"After lunch is finished today, you will apologize to the family."

Tom turned red, nodded and said, "Yes, sir."

"You will find out then what your punishment will be. You can come down for lunch five minutes early. Until then you are to stay in your room."


"Yes, sir. Dad?"

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry. Really!"

"I know, but that doesn't change what you did, does it?"

"No."


At lunch John kept an eye on Tom, noting that he barely ate anything. He knew Tom was nervous about what would happen. He saw their other children, ten-year old Sam and eight-year old Christy, were done eating, just talking about a movie they wanted to see. After glancing at his wife, Janet, and getting a nod, he cleared his throat and said, "Tom has something he wants to say."

Tom looked down at his plate, took a breath, looked up and said, "I want to apologize for my actions these last few weeks. I've told you Carole and I were going out each Friday, but really Bill and I were out drinking at a club."


"Tom!" Sam gasped out.



"I'm really, really sorry. Please forgive me!"

John looked around the table as everyone nodded. "Apology accepted. You are grounded until further notice. No activities other than school. No TV. You are not to use the truck other than for school, unless Mother or I give you an errand to do."

"Yes, sir."

"Sam, Christy, you are excused."

"Yes, Dad!" they chorused. They both glanced at their older brother, but didn't say anything as they left the table.


"Tom, I want you to apologize to Office Woods this afternoon. When you get back, we will discuss the rest of your punishment."


"Yes, sir." After a moment Toms asked, "May I be excused?"


"Of course."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Tom parked the truck outside the Sheriff's office and took a deep breath. It was bad enough having to apologize to his family, but having to do so to Officer Woods would be even more embarrassing. He hurried up the steps and into the office, hoping for the best. He saw Office Woods at his desk and walked over hesitantly. "Officer Woods, may I have a minute?" he asked.


"Of course, Tom." Officer Woods said as he looked up.

"I'd like to apologize for last night. I'm sorry you had to take me home. Please be assured it won't happen again."



"Apology accepted."

"Thanks."

"How are your parents dealing with this?"

"Dad is pretty upset with me. I'm grounded and I'm sure he'll have more to say when I get back. Mom hasn't said anything yet, but I can tell she's not happy with me either."


"Well, good luck."

"Thanks, I'll need it," Tom said with a small grin.



Pulling into the yard at home, Tom saw his mother coming out of the back door. He parked the truck and went to her. "Hi," he said, giving her a hug.

"Did you see Officer Woods?"


"Yeah, that's all taken care of."



"Good. You'd better go and see your father."

"Do you know where Dad is?"



"I saw him go into the office a few minutes ago. He's probably still there." She gave him a little hug. "It will be okay, you know."



"I know. Thanks, Mom. Love ya!"


Tom knocked lightly on the open office door.

John looked up from his conversation on the phone, and motioned for him to come in. "Okay, can you have that delivered to the farm by Tuesday? Fine, that will work out great. Talk to you next week, I expect." He turned, looked at Tom and said, "Shut the door, please."


Tom did so and looked down at the floor, not knowing what to say.


"Sit down. I have some questions for you and I want honest answers."

"Yes, sir."



"Whose idea was it to go to the club in the first place?"



"No ones. We were just driving around talking and ended up in that area. Really!"

"I see. And the next three times?"


"Both of our ideas. We knew what we were doing."


"Is there anything else you've been doing that your mother and I need to know about?"



"No, sir."


"Is seventeen the legal drinking age?"

"No, sir."

"Do you need a lecture on underage drinking?


"No, sir."



"Very well. What is the punishment for lying?"

Tom went pale but said, "Five swats with the belt."

John nodded. "Yes. You will get fifteen. You will also be doing extra chores."


"Yes, sir."

"Your mother and I decided you will be grounded for six weeks; two weeks for each time you went out drinking."



"Yes, sir." After a few seconds, Tom reached into his pocket and took out his truck keys. "Here are my keys," he said and laid them on the desk.

John smiled at him. "Thanks, son, but you can keep them. We know we can trust you."



Tom blushed. "Thanks," he mumbled.



"You'd best get your chores done before supper. I know the cows need water and the barn hasn't been cleaned up since yesterday morning."


"Yes, sir. Ummm, Dad?"


"Yes?"



"When will I get my whipping?"



"After supper tonight."

"Thanks. I really am sorry. It won't happen again."


"I know."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


As Tom began to straighten things up in the barn, Christy walked in. "Tom!"

"Yeah, Christy, what do you need?" he asked with a smile.



"Are you okay?" she asked hesitantly.

"Of course I'm okay. Why?"


"You got in trouble today with Mom and Dad. And you're still doing chores."



"Sweetie, it's okay. I had something to take care of in town. These are my regular chores, I'm just late getting them done." 'No way,' he thought, 'am I going to tell her what else is going to happen. She's way too young.'



Christy stood right in front of Tom and frowned up at him. "Can I ask you something?"



"Sure."

"Is Dad going to spank you?"

'Great!' he thought. 'I so did not want to have to explain this to her. Oh well, better tell the truth.' "Yes."



"That's not fair! You said you were sorry and you're grounded."



Tom smiled at her and gave her a hug. "Sweetie, it is too fair. Yes, I said I was sorry, but sometimes that's not enough. I knew what I was doing was wrong, but I did it anyway. It's not like I did something without thinking. When you do something you already know is wrong, you have to face the consequences. Dad is being fair. Understand?"


"Yes, I think so. But I don't want you to be hurt."


"Honey, it will be okay; trust me. He's not going to kill me."

Just then they heard John calling from outside the barn. "Christy, time to come in. Mother wants you."


"See you at supper, Sis."


"Okay," Christy said and ran out the barn.

A few minutes later, John walked into the barn and said, "You did a good job explaining." Seeing Tom's startled expression, he added with a smile, "You forget how easy voices carry."


"Oh. Thanks."

"You about done here?"



"Not really. I got the cows taken care of, but still have to finish here. Talking to Christy got me behind. I can finish after supper, if that's okay."

"Fine. Supper will be ready in about ten minutes. You better clean up."


"Okay. I'll be right in."

After supper was over Tom went back to the barn to finish straightening up. He'd finished everything except hanging up the milking machines when John walked in.


"You can leave that till tomorrow," John said. "We have some unfinished business."


"Yes, sir."

"Why are you getting this whipping?"


"I lied to you and Mom about where I was and what I was doing these last three weeks, and lying is never acceptable."

"Yes."

"I know I deserve what I'm getting."

"Okay, let's get this over with." John pulled out a wooden chair from against the wall and sat down. "Give me your belt," he said.


Tom went pale but gave him the belt, saying nothing.


"Drop your jeans and shorts and come here." As Tom lay across his lap, John began slapping him with the belt while saying, "We will not be lied to. You will not even consider going out drinking until you are twenty-one."

 "Yes, sir," Tom choked out. By the time the spanking ended, Tom had tears running down his cheeks.

John gently pulled him up in his arms and hugged him. "I love you. Your Mom loves you. We don't want anything bad to ever happen to you."


"I know. I am so sorry."



"We know." After a few minutes of holding him, John asked, "Are you alright?"


"Yes."

"Okay, then get dressed. Let Mom know I haven't killed you, then up to your room."

Tom nodded and straightened his clothes. He turned to his father, hugged him hard and walked out of the barn.






The End.






No comments:

Post a Comment