Welcome to Myst's Stories.

I hope you enjoy the stories I have written.

I would love to receive feedback and can be e-mailed at readsmyst@aol.com.



Friday, September 24, 2010

The Problem, part 1

Thanks to Sara for beta'ing for me. Thanks to Jodie and Mike for giving me the courage to post this.

I am only playing with the characters from Stargate SG-1, and am making no money by writing this, just having fun.

Author note: I read a story some time back about Daniel being changed into a child in order for him to save the Earth when he grew up. This was done by a race of people called The Furlings. The stories were, for the most part "Happy Daniel" stories, which made me wonder……What if Daniel was not happy?


Chapter 1

"O'Neill here," Jack said as he answered the phone.

"Jack, I'd like to have a word with you," General Hammond said.

"Yes, Sir. Right now?"

"Now would be good."

"Yes, Sir, be right there." Hanging up the phone, he hurried to General Hammond's office wondering what was up. He hoped that it wasn't another mission. He knew he needed to spend more time with Daniel, as he had been very busy lately with missions and
meetings, and another mission at this time would seriously hurt his relationship with Daniel.

He was about to knock at General Hammond's office when Hammond looked up and motioned for him to come in. Hammond picked up the phone and said, "Carol, hold all my calls till I'm done with Colonel O'Neill." Turning back to Jack he said, "Sit down Jack, we need to talk. Jack, I need to know, how are things going with you and Dr. Jackson?"

Surprised at the question Jack said "Normal, Sir. There are good days and bad days, but overall things are fine. Is there a problem, Sir?," he added quickly.

"Jack, I just got an email from Dr. Jackson. He is asking that you be removed as his guardian."

"What? I am totally shocked, Sir. I know we don't always agree, but I had no idea he was unhappy."

"Jack, sit down. It is more than just not being happy. He has a list of things that he felt have pushed him to ask for this."

Jack took a breath and asked, "What did I do? I really had no idea, Sir."

Hammond nodded and said, "I had a feeling this would come as a surprise. What it boils down to is that Dr. Jackson wants more control over his life."

"But Sir, he is only nine," Jack sputtered.

"His body is nine, Jack. He's thirty-nine, and that, I think, is the main problem."

"Can I see what he says the problems are, Sir?"

"Of course." He slid the request to Jack, who read aloud, "While Colonel O'Neill has been my guardian these last six months he has publicly humiliated me on more than one occasion. Colonel O'Neill has also struck me on many occasions. One time when I did not do what he wanted, he threatened to handcuff me. When I try to voice my opinions he tells me I am a child. I have no control over how or where my money is spent, the clothes I wear, or the food I eat. I have been able to even buy books, as I am told I don't need them. My artifacts have been put in storage; apparently he feels I will break them. I no longer have access to pictures of my wife or parents. I no longer am allowed to have tropical fish. I am told who I can and can't associate with, based upon who Colonel O'Neill likes and dislikes. Major Paul Davis was a good friend of mine, but I am no longer allowed to associate with him.

These are just a few of the things that have occurred. If you feel you need a more detailed list, I will provide it.

General Hammond, while I know I look like a child, I am not a child. I am sure that Colonel O'Neill's intentions are good; however, things have deteriorated to the point where I feel I can no longer tolerate the situation of him being my guardian. If necessary, I will ask for quarters on base to alleviate the security concerns of the SGC."

Jack paused a second, then shook his head. "Sir, I swear," his voice trailed off.

Hammond said, "Jack, I'm sure you have tried your best, but while Dr. Jackson may have blown some of these things out of proportion, you can see he feels he has no control of his life."

"I can see that is what he may be feeling, but Sir, I am not the monster that this makes me out to be. I would do anything for Daniel! I hate what the Furlings did to him. I have seen him cry over it more than once, and there's nothing I can do to help him! I feel as helpless as he does."

"Jack, he expects a response, and to tell you the truth, I don't know what to say to him. What if we go over the list, item by item, and you give me your version of what has happened? That way I can get your side of each problem and better make
my decision."

"No problem, Sir."

"Publicly humiliated him?"

"I probably have, without knowing it. I know it can sometimes be hard for me to think of him as an adult when he looks nine years old."

"Struck him?"

"Sir, I have never done more than swat his rear when he was out of control."

"Handcuff him?"

"Yes, Sir, I did threaten him with that; it was the time he bit me."

"Don't let him voice his opinions?"

"Sir, you know Daniel, he'll always voice his opinions. When he tells me I'm being cruel to him, or I won't let him do whatever he wishes, he says I don't care what he wants and that his opinion doesn't count."

"How his money is spent?"

"I have not touched a dime of his money, other than what I spend on his share of the food, his clothes, and giving him a weekly allowance. His check is automatically deposited in my account, and I draw on it only for those things. At the end of the month I transfer the rest to a trust account for when he officially turns 18. I had no idea he was concerned as to what was happening with his money."

"He probably isn't really concerned. He just knows he can't spend it as he wishes, like he used to."

"Yes, Sir."

"Choice of clothes?"

"Sir, he would have a closet full of nothing but plaid shirts and blue jeans!! His body is nine, and he needs warm clothes, shoes, and coats. I let him choose some things, but not everything. I've even let him have some plaid shirts."

"Food?"

"He can't live on chocolate and coffee, as much as he would love to! I actually let him have more coffee than Dr. Fraiser wants him to have, since I know how much he loves it. But, I make him eat real food, meat, vegetables, and fruits too. We go to one of his favorite restaurants every other week, unless I am away."

"I see," Hammond said with a smile. "Unable to buy books?"

"Yes, Sir, I admit I have told him he doesn't need them. There are so many books as it is, and they're stacked all over the house. I just did not realize he felt he needed more."

"Artifacts?"

"They're stored away. I was afraid he would break them. His hand eye coordination is still that of a child, plus we really don't have the space for them."

Hammond tapped his pen on the desk thoughtfully. "Do you need a bigger home?"

"Perhaps; especially if he buys more books and takes the artifacts out of storage."

"Pictures of Shauri and his parents?"

"I put those away as I didn't want more sad memories for him. I thought they would make things worse. I'll give them to him tonight."

"Fish?"

O'Neill shrugged. "They kept dying. I have no idea why. I didn't see the point in continually buying more."

"That you control who he can associate with?"

"Sir, the security clearance for him is so limited. As for friends that `look' the same age, there are very few military children around, and I would be afraid to let him go off with just any kid. I'm trying to protect him."

"Major Davis?"

"He is right, Sir. I have stopped his friendship with Major Davis, without good cause."

"You will take care of that?"

"Yes, Sir. First chance I get."

"The fact that although he looks like a child, but is an adult and wants to be treated like one?"

"Sir, I don't know to really explain that. He is not nine or thirty-nine; he swings between the two. Since his body is nine, there are times it seems to drive him to act nine, like when he doesn't eat or when he tires out and won't admit it. There was one time.... Jack's voice trailed off, his face turning red.

"Yes?" Hammond prompted.

"He was being a little hellion in the car. He was acting like a child having a fit of temper. I stopped the car and gave him one swat. He turned to me and said he wished I was publicly humiliated whenever I acted up or was out of line."

"Ouch."

"Very. I can see where he thinks I think of him only as a kid. But Sir, I do try to think of him and treat him as an adult."

"Okay, now comes the hard part. What do I tell Dr. Jackson? He says he is ready to live on base rather than continue living with you."

"Sir, let me go talk with him, and try to straighten things out. We know, and I think he knows, that he really can't live on base. Please?"

"Very well. I will give you 24 hours."

"Thank you, Sir."

"Dismissed."

As Jack walked to Daniel's office he was dreading what he knew would be a trying conversation for the both of them. He knocked at Daniel's door and said, "Daniel, do you have a few free minutes? We need to talk."

Daniel looked up from the report he was working on, nodded, and said "Just a minute, let me save this report. Okay, what do you want to discuss?"

Jack took a breath and said, "General Hammond called me in about the request he got from you. You don't want me to be your guardian anymore?"

"I don't want anyone to be my guardian!" Daniel said angrily.

"Daniel, I know you are an adult, but since you look like you are nine you can't be on your own. And," he said, before Daniel could interrupt, "Your actions swing between that of someone 39 and someone nine. Like when you had the measles; being that sick made you react like a child. When everything is going fine and you are well, eating and sleeping on a regular basis you act like you are 39. But right now we don't know from day to day how you will be."

"It's not my fault that my actions change; but Jack, I'm tired of being treated like I'm a child day in and day out."

"Look Daniel, I can see where some of the things I've done have caused you to be upset, and I'll change what I can. You can have your pictures and artifacts back. I only had them put in storage to help you; I didn't want them to bring back sad memories. And, as for who you can associate with, that will be up to you, as long as they have security clearance, such as Major Davis. You can see him as often as you want."

"What about the other things I brought up, such as living on base?"

"Truly? I don't see General Hammond letting you do that. He didn't ask my opinion on that, but he made it clear he felt there were things I should change. I really didn't mean to make you feel as though you had no say in your life, I was just trying to help you."

"Well," Daniel said in a softer tone, "I appreciate that. But I don't want any guardian Jack, not you, not anybody."

"I don't know what will happen about that. General Hammond didn't give me any clue what he was thinking about that request. Until then, why don't we try and work with the
changes I can make."

"Fine, but I'm not happy."

"I understand that."


TBC

2 comments:

  1. I know this web page gives quality depending content and other
    information, is there any other site which offers these kinds of information in quality?



    Here is my web page: visit this link

    ReplyDelete